Wastewater Operator I
Posted on: June 4, 2021
- Operates and maintains water/wastewater treatment, processing,
disposal and testing equipment in water/wastewater treatment
facility to purify water to meet permit and operational
requirements. Is fully qualified to perform the most complex
functions and may lead the work of others.
- Tends automatic and semi-automatic machines and related
equipment including pumps, engines, generators, valves, gates,
mixers, conveyors, blowers, chemical feed and odor control and
vacuum filters used to decontaminate waste water by settling,
aeration and sludge digestion.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually
or by remote control to regulate flow.
- Monitors flow meters, gauges, flow ratios, pressures and
related controls through instrument panels, computer terminals and
programmable logic control units in assigned area.
- Monitors and records operating conditions observations and data
in area shift log. Ensures conformance to process
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses operational problems and takes
corrective action per procedure. Verifies and reports suspected
malfunctions and variances to supervisor.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance and maintenance
related items as assigned.
- Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in
order to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units
or alter unit processes.
- Samples wastewater, sludge and gases (odor control, digester,
etc.) according to schedule.
- Prepares chemical solutions and services automatic
- Monitors process chemical supplies and recommends reorder.
- Performs lab tests applicable to permit testing and related
reports per procedure.
- Performs instrument calibration for portable meters including,
but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent oxygen,
lower explosive limit.
- Performs manual labor including filling and emptying of machine
bins and cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as
- Performs minor maintenance including, but not limited to,
routine preventive maintenance, lubrication and minor
- Operates vehicles for plant operational purposes. Practices
good housekeeping in assigned area and properly disposes of waste
according to safety and environmental policies.
- High School education or equivalent with the ability to read,
write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and
quality instructions). Must have the ability to perform basic math
equations. Associate's degree in a science or technical area
- Typically holds a high level water /wastewater treatment
certificate. (Requires minimum water/wastewater license as required
by regulatory agencies at site).
- Over five years experience in a related position and
environment with knowledge of the methods,techniques, and practices
of water/wastewater treatment.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the care and use of all site
specific, facility required PPE (Personal Protection Equipment),
including respirators, gas detectors, confined space equipment,
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to operate all
machines and equipment meeting or exceeding processing and quality
targets under general supervision.
- Must demonstrate ability to efficiently operate all equipment
in facility which may include pumps, engines, centrifuge,
generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers,
chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, sludge
processing filters, belt presses and measuring/control devices,
testing equipment, and material handling equipment.
- Must have the ability to diagnose process problems regardless
of complexity, troubleshoot equipment and take corrective action
within policy and procedure limitations.
- Must demonstrate a working ability to use computer programs for
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and
willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if
required by site.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving
Keywords: Veolia, Auburn , Wastewater Operator I, Other , Auburn, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!